Monday, March 8, 2010

Things I love to Hate

Sometimes its hard to find inspiration. Doug's prompts are awesome and always get the juices flowing, but while taking a creative writing class with Jeremy Shipp I got turned on to another way to stimulate ideas. What he had us do is for one exercise make a list of five things we love, then write a short passage incorporating those five things. Next we did the same thing but with five things we hate.

I know this sounds almost juvenile, but trust me. I absolutely LOVE the creepy story that emerged from the second exercise (I will be submitting it this week--cross your fingers). The possibilities are endless. You can keep making lists and using them to stimulate ideas. Plus, the more unusual the combination, the better the outcome!

Hope it helps. Happy Writing!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your submission! Let's try this for our writing exercises next week!

    ~Doug

    ReplyDelete