Monday, February 8, 2010

Business Cards

One of the things you should think about is getting business cards for yourself, if you haven’t already. Even if you have, it may be time to pull them out and see if you might need to update them. As a writer, you’re the most likely to promote your work. And business cards are just another way of doing so.

I usually create two sets of business cards; one with all of my personal information like my address and phone number, and another with only my email and website. Depending on who I’m giving my card to determines which card they get.

And if you think you can’t afford business cards, let me introduce you to Vista Print (http://www.vistaprint.com/). On the Vista Print website, you can order 250 cards for the price of shipping (around $5). They have a dozens of attractive templates to choose from and it’s quite easy to design your own cards.

There are two things to remember with Vista Print. First, it takes 20-30 days for your cards to arrive, so order early. Second, your cards will say Vista Print on the back unless you pay an extra fee to have it removed (around $7, I think). But the logo isn’t distracting and I see a lot of business cards these days with the Vista Print logo on the back.

So what are you waiting for? Go get some cards. It’s so much easier when you go to workshops or conferences to hand out a card rather than have someone write down your contact information. It’s a great way to promote yourself and it makes you look like a serious professional.

~Doug McIntire
http://www.dougmcintire.com/

1 comment:

  1. Great thinking here Doug! Excellent and unique post idea. Way to keep us professional!

    ReplyDelete