Monday, January 6, 2014

The Author and Agent Relationship

I often get asked: Do you have an agent?

Nope. I don't.

However, I think agents can be a valuable resource!

I've really enjoyed being an Indie Author. As a control freak, being able to have final say in all publishing matters appeals to me. Yet, it is a lot of work. That's why I would recommend saying yes to an agent if they want you for a client. In fact, for many authors, getting an agent is the dream!

But I would like to add a word of caution...while I don't have an agent, I am friends with several authors that do or have had agents. The horror stories I've heard about a few (and I stress a few) author/agent relationships is disturbing. Working with someone to sell your book is not a step you want to rush into.

Believe it or not, you may not want to say yes to the agent--or at least not until you are sure they are really a right fit for you. Hopefully, you've done your homework before submitting queries to an agent and you know what kind of genre they represent. Checking them out on the many Preditor/Editor sites out there is a wise idea, too.

But how do you really know if it's going to work out? Hmmm....well, you don't. Once you've got an agent that doesn't mean you get to sit back and twiddle your thumbs. What if your agent isn't doing their job? I mean, they are suppose to be hustling your work into the hands of publishers. Sometimes that process can take just as long as finding an agent and be twice as discouraging!

If you feel that your agent isn't really doing anything to sell your work and you've done all the edits/rewrites they suggested, well....maybe it's time to let them go. After all, it's suppose to be a partnership! You may be an artist with words, but dang it! You're in it to make a buck, too. I know, I know! What if you can't get another agent? Don't be silly. You were good enough to attract this one. You're good enough to attract one who will sell your book.

You must be an advocate for you! If you aren't, no one else will be either.

If you choose to part ways with an agent, be respectful. Be kind. The publishing world is still a relatively small place so don't go burning bridges!

Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment