Monday, April 9, 2012

Renew Yourself, Your Writing--Anything Else?

It's time for rebirth observances, Passover, Easter, Spring Equinox. It's also, just awhile ago, the Buddhist New Year, Songkran. Baha'i's holiest days, Ridvan, are next month. Just about everyone celebrates spring and the regrowth and renewal it brings. How can you help it? Winter is over and the earth is clothing itself in blossoms and greenery. Animals are mating and new spring lambs gambol in their pastures.

So why do we in the States start a new year in January? I've often wondered about that! I usually do make a list of my goals for the year then, and evaluate what I've gotten done in the previous calendar period of twelve months.

I prefer to set myself goals instead of resolutions. Goals are something I can reach for, go toward. Resolutions are so…resolute.

This is a good time, though, to reassess. How am I doing on my goals? Have I completely ignored some of them so far? Well, yeah. I'm doing well on some others, to make up for that. (Maybe I set too many goals.)

Life has intervened these last few weeks, too. We've learned that we're moving in June, which brings me an entire new list of goals--most of them completely unrelated to writing. This last week I spend hours making sure I had the data I wanted off three (I know, three) old computers and taking them to Goodwill. If we weren't moving, they'd still be sitting here. I do still have 3 computers left, so don’t feel sorry for me.

But I'll go through my writing goals again now and renew my push in the areas I'm falling behind in. It's a good time of year to do that. It just feels right.

NOTE: For something new, we're entered in a blog contest and you can vote for us with the button on the left!

 A Romney shiquolt and lambs

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! The perfect time for restarting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete