Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Are Websites Important for Authors?


At long last, my personal website is up and running! It's been a labor of love, and I have to say I got really lucky working with the team I hired. Brian and Ashley Reed, web designers extraordinaire, I thank you! You created a site that is unique and to my specifications!

Are websites important to a writer? After all, isn't it the work, the words that matter most? Of course, those are important, but what happens if a reader wants to know more about you, the writer? That's where your website proves to be very handy. Here, the interested reader can sit down and get a feel for who you are, what your likes are, and hopefully, read your blog and become a follower. 

The website allows you to display your books, excerpts, favorite links, play lists--whatever. If you venture to my website, you may notice on my links page I have a link to No Control Radio. You know why? Because that's the station my main character, Nathan Ink, listens to. Eager readers may get a better feel for what's going on in Nathan's angelic head if they listen to his music. 

Let's say you aren't a "published" author yet, but are looking for an agent and a platform. Having a website is a great way to start. It shows you're serious about the craft, and you are willing to do the marketing that goes along with it. Agents and publishers don't want to work with someone who isn't willing to do some self promotion.

Now, I can already hear a few naysayers going "Wait a second. Can't I just include all that stuff on my blog pages." Sure you can. But blogs can only do so much when it comes to design. Hiring a web designer gives you a lot more options and really allows you to take your creativity to a new place. If you are just starting out, blog sites are great. If you're ready to get serious and maybe spend a little money, start looking for a designer.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my website. You can click here to take a peek at it. www.maryannloesch.com Please feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment