Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Difference Between Bloggers

I follow a lot of famous and not-so-famous authors on the various social media sites. I notice that most of these authors frequently blog to drive traffic to their websites and ultimately, their books. And blogging is becoming more and more popular as a means to drive traffic to your website.

I’m also starting to notice is that there is a big difference between bloggers. Some bloggers are rising to the top of the blogging heap, not because of their writing, their words, or the way they say it. It’s in how their blogs look.

I know that sounds strange, but the blogs I like to visit most are the ones that are visually pleasing, as well as good to read. Take a look at the blogs you visit and see if it isn’t so.

So if you’re blogging to drive traffic back to you, take the time to see what you can do to improve the appearance of your blog. There are tons of themes and ideas available to you all over the Internet. And you don’t need to be a graphics designer to make it work. Just see what looks good to you and go with. Just don’t settle for what you have. Take a look at it from time to time and see what you can do to improve it. It just might make a difference.

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more, Doug. I've been working on my website in preperation for marketing stuff for Nephilim. I've been checking out lots of blogs and agree that the visual makes me want to come back, in addition, to the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely spot-on, Doug. Good marketing combined with a 'catchy' appearance makes a blog far more successful than good content ever does.

    Thank goodness I'm not some glory-hound, because I don't have time to chase down Followers or tweak my blogs' (that's plural - I have three on Blogger alone) appearance. Some days it's all I can do to just to post something.

    ReplyDelete