Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Brain Farts Can Be Fun!

I’ve been struggling for several months with a short story. Truth be told, I don’t like short story writing. I feel the need to babble on endlessly (just ask my editor, Tiffany), so a short story typically doesn’t allow me enough time to do that! Not to mention that my brain tends to stall on the right ending for many of my tales. It’s like suddenly the old noggin just runs out of steam and starts spewing ash. I call that brain farting. I believe Webster’s defines it as the brain’s ability to squeeze out any number of ridiculous ideas that float around you in a mysterious haze of semi-creativeness.

Believe it or not, I may have discovered the cure for this mysterious ailment. It’s called…talking to other writers. Yes. It’s true. Actually speaking with other writers about your writing, as opposed to being all mousy and scared, can put a cork in brain farting. Your colleagues can provide motivation and other ideas to think about. The mysteries of the world you’ve created in your story can be solved. It’s really an exciting thing.

Of course, I’m talking about a writing group. If you haven’t found one, keep looking. If you are in one that isn’t making you happy or meeting your needs, get out of it and find something else. Writing is a lonely business and at the end of the day, it’s just you and your computer, but a writing group can help make it a little less overwhelming. Some groups are all about critiques and others lean more towards discussing the mechanics of writing. The point is: there’s something for everyone out there. You just have to search for it.

So go search for a cure to your own brain farts. Find the writing group that is perfect for you!

Interested in learning more about my writing world? Check out Loesch’s Muse at http://www.loeschsmuse.blogspot.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment