Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Internet Freedom

Have you ever had those days when you know you need to write, or work, or whatever, but you just can’t seem to pull yourself away from the Internet. Maybe you’re checking your Facebook page, tweeting on Twitter, IMing with your friend from Russia, or just surfing from webpage to webpage.

Well then you’re in luck, because there’s an app for that (sorry, I couldn’t resist). Seriously, there’s a program called Freedom that you can install on your computer that will block Internet access for the amount of time you specify, up to eight hours. It’s available for both Mac and PCs.

And you can’t cheat. You can’t just turn off the program for a second and then turn it back on. Once you set it, the only way to get back to the Internet is to reboot your computer. They say they do that to discourage cheating.

The program is available for download from http://macfreedom.com/ for ten dollars. But you know, if it makes you more productive, “Freedom might be the best 10 dollars you’ll ever spend.”

I haven’t personally tried this program, but I saw some favorable reviews out on a NaNoWriMo forum. It seems like if you’re going to try it, November just may be the month.

4 comments:

  1. great to know, thanks for the site! I am new to the whole blogging world so this kind of stuff fascinates me =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, wow. Was that last comment our first Spam? And do we want to reciprocate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I'll look into this. Trouble is, I like keeping thesaurus.com open behind my manuscript. What to do, what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me, Doug. I don't know any Spanish. It could be all dirty words for all I know. Or drug ads.

    ReplyDelete