Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Social Media Kicks Ass

That's right, you heard me. Social media kicks ass. Any writer who is on the fence about joining the social media craze needs to get off the bench and join the bandwagon. Time and time again networks such as Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin have helped me locate important resources and information, markets for my work, industry contacts, and promote myself as a writer. Each technology is designed to be as user friendly as possible and since most of them allow you to post on multiple sites simultaneously, the process has become even simpler. There are just a few things to keep in mind.
  1. Manage your time: Establish a set time limit either daily or weekly for social media and then shut off. That means ignoring updates, avoiding polls and useless applications, and focusing more of your time on doing what you do best --writing!!!
  2. Remember its a public forum: Don't end up blacklisted because you bad mouthed an industry professional and please avoid the realm of TMI--Too Much Information. We don't want to hear it.
  3. Do be personal: Show some personality, engage in dialogue with followers and fans, and show that you are human and your network will grow.
  4. Do join groups: Groups allow you to network with several people related to your industry. The Writers' League of Texas, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, and other groups have a social media presence and are always open to new members.
Whatever you do, don't wait! It's important for your platform and for getting you out into the world as a writer. Your work means nothing if no one knows about it. Go promote!

1 comment:

  1. This is a good lesson to learn. I've started working on adjusting my social sites over to promote my work. I'm also checking them alot more. It's funny, for facebook and myspace, my wife built those sites for me and I rarely check them (once a month...maybe?). Now I check in every so often on myspace and pretty regularly on facebook. I do participate in a social site for my faith daily, and am even a part of a fiction writers group there.

    Thanks for the good advice and encouragement. Reading this helps motivate me to complete that switchover even faster.

    ReplyDelete