Thursday, June 28, 2012

Dreamwalker by Andrea Heltsley--Review


Is there anything yummier than a nice paranormal romance on a hot summer afternoon? Sure it's already steamy outside, but isn't it fun when your imagination and a good book raise the temperature even more? Dreamwalker by Andrea Heltsley is the latest paranormal romance I've had the good fortune to read. It's part of an Innovative Online Book Tour (one of my favorite book groups!) and lucky me--I get to review it here at All Things Writing.



Here is the book synopsis from the cover:



Noel Kennedy lost her boyfriend, her job and he dignity all in one week. Then something happened and she began to dream of this stranger she had never met. She couldn’t resist the man of her dreams named Jared especially when she met him in real life. Entranced, she slowly unraveled a world she was meant to stay out of. Her life was not what she thought it was once a sexy Boone stepped into the mix and shook things up. Can she escape a life of servitude or immortality for a chance at love?



Let's begin with the book cover--nice. I like it! It captures the romantic, ethereal tone the author is going for!



When I first started the book, I wasn't sure if I was going to like the main character, Noel. See, she just got dumped and spends the first few chapters in a deep depression. It kind of had me worried. Was this going to be the trend for the whole story? Luckily, her best friend Autumn and a hottie tottie stranger called Jared help pull her out of her funk and get the story moving.



Jared is not only easy on the eyes, but he's special. Really special. As in he has powers that let him slip into your dreams and do…special things. Let's just say that he gets Noel's motor racing and helps her learn that she also has some extraordinary gifts that the bad guys are willing to capture her for.



And then there is Boone. Ah, empathetic, good looking Boone who also gets Noel hot and bothered. Once he enters the picture and we find out his back story, the plot starts to really unfold.



I think this book is full of interesting and well written characters. I especially like the best friend, Autumn, who evolves throughout the story. As stated early, I was worried about liking Noel, but she also goes through some changes that turn her into a strong person the reader cares about.



There were a few things about this book that bothered me. One was that the dialogue from time to time felt a little stilted, and occasionally the changes in point of view were tough for me to follow. I also was distracted by some typos and grammar issues such as too many dialogue tags or lots of ly adverbs that over describe situations. While I enjoyed this book, I think it could have benefited from one more round of editing.



All in all though, this is a hot paranormal romance to add to your reading list. After all, it's going to be a long, steamy summer!


Here are the buy links, as well as, more info on the author!

Amazon code:

Kindle



Paperbook



Andrea Heltsley Online:




3 comments: