Monday, January 18, 2010

Why I Blog

As a writer, I somehow feel guilty when I’m blogging. For some reason, it doesn’t feel like “real” writing and I feel like I should be spending my time on my stories and novels.

But blogging is real writing. As a writer, I find that there are two, very different functions that I’m responsible for. First, I have to write to the best of my ability, which goes without saying. But even if I were the best writer in the world, if I’m not marketing myself, then no one will ever know how good I am. And that’s my second responsibility as a writer; marketing myself.

Blogging, as well as a lot of other social networking, is all about marketing myself, and as a writer, marketing is something I can’t afford to ignore. It’s just another way of getting my name out there. And if you’re a writer, it’s something you should probably be doing too.

~Doug McIntire
http://www.dougmcintire.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment