Sunday, January 31, 2010

Six Sentences

If you haven’t run across the Six Sentence website (http://sixsentences.blogspot.com/) before, I’d like to turn you on to it.

The idea behind Six Sentences is that you get to write about anything you want; you just have to do it in Six Sentences. To get your six sentences published, you have to actually go through a submission process and face an acceptance or rejection, based on the quality of your work.

From a writer’s perspective, that’s wonderful. It’s not your great American novel, it’s not that memoir that you cried writing, it’s just six sentences. It seems almost blasé. In other words, it’s safe to submit your work because it’s only six sentences. There’s no stress. There’s no harm. If they don’t like it, so what?

But it gets you out there. You can’t be published if you don’t submit your work, and six sentences is a great way to get started. Now I’m not going to lie. Robert McEvil, the editor of Six Sentences, doesn’t publish just any old six sentences. It took me several attempts before I finally had a piece published.

And the surprise for me was that I really fell in love with Six Sentences. Not only has it helped me get me submitting my work, it taught me to write tight. Believe it or not, you can get an entire story arc in six sentences.

Give it a try. Write about whatever you want. Just do it in six sentences and then submit it. Maybe you’ll fall in love with Six Sentences too.

~Doug McIntire
http://www.DougMcIntire.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment