Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Write a Novel in 30 Days!

No Plot? No Problem! is the companion that every author should have who participates in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), an event that happens each November. If you’re going to try to write a novel in a month, you will need a guide, and this book is that guide.

The subtitle self-describes the book as “A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days,” and it is! The book is broken down into two sections. The first section describes what to expect and I recommend that you read it prior to November 1st. The second section explains what is happening to you and your writing, week-by-week. There is a chapter for each of the four weeks and I recommend you read these as close as you can to the week it’s describing. It gives you some great advice on how to overcome the fear and doubt that are certain to crop up. There’s also a final chapter once you’ve completed the month with suggestions about how to go on with your life.

Make no mistake, writing a novel in a month is a daunting task, but Baty takes you through it step-by-step. It’s an awesome experience and one I plan on repeating this November. And before I do, I’ll be reading No Plot? No Problem! once again. I recommend the experience and I highly recommend the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment